Using LinkedIn for Networking
I read Pinhawk Librarian News Digest daily – it’s a great source for pointing me to what I should be reading, and saving me from reviewing all 900+ new feeds in my RSS reader. In today’s digest, editor Nina Platt references a post on downloading contact information from your LinkedIn connections. As Nina rightly points out, LinkedIn is a professional network. Her issue? A number of connections don’t use their work email address, but instead use a personal one.
As someone who uses a personal email address in my LinkedIn account, I wanted to explain why. I’m not sure how my firm supports my use of LinkedIn, so I’d rather not have emails from there come to my work email. If I get spammed, I’d rather it was in my gmail account, and not at work, to save the IT department from having to deal with it. And, the most important reason, I don’t access my work account after hours, and I’d rather have 24/7 access to LinkedIn.
I consider myself a professional, but unfortunately, I don’t feel I get this respect at work. Perhaps I do and I’m overreacting. At any rate, I’ll continue to use LinkedIn for networking and making connections, and I’m going to leave my gmail account as my contact email.
What do you do?
P.S. You can subscribe to Librarian News Digest here.
Filed under: Networks | 6 Comments
Tags: Social Media
Subscribe via RSS
- RT @TrailRunMB: Less than a week to get early bird entry discount for the Lemming Loop. 3, 6, 12 or 24 hours of fun! ow.ly/Q4TiC 6 days ago
- Thanks! RT @CALLACBD: A Friday Question from @karensawatzky "If library is not in your title, what are you called?" http://t.co/cE5VwTQfUf 3 weeks ago
- Part 2 @mktgworks RT @ronfriedmann: Why Brands Don’t Stick in Professional Service Firms. @BurkeyBelser bit.ly/1JUEZwW Great read 3 weeks ago
- RT @Alan_Kilpat: Some Thoughts on the Visibility of Law Librarians - Response to @smireau's post on @slaw_dot_ca wp.me/p1noor-Nr 3 weeks ago
- MT @policyfrog: Live in Transcona, Elmwood or NK? Remind your councillor how you'll benefit from Wpg's bike plan. ow.ly/Pgf0f 3 weeks ago
academic libraries Advocacy Basic training Bestof Top libraries Best practices Book repairs Careers Change Management Clawbies Colin Powell Communications problem solving conferences Continuing Education creativity Customer Service database data security digital advocacy E-government bureaucracy government services eBooks Health library history health library resources Home office ILL technical services Information Internet searching Knowledge Management leadership learners neural legal research legislation library architecture Library special events management skills Marketing medical information Networking Networks New Ideas online branding online security Outsourcing politics Presentations Professional Associations Professional Development public library public profiles public speaking Publishing reading SLA-WCC SLA2008 SLA2009 Slaw Social Media Social search engines Special events Storytelling Storytelling leaders conferences Teaching Technology technology cold turkey Training Ideas Training video tutorial tweet Twitter Vendors volunteering Web 2.0 Web2.0 Webinar wikis Work at home Working smarter