Social Media and the S.E.C.
I recently read that the Securities and Exchange Commission (S.E.C. – American) is considering charging Netflix for violating the Regulation Fair Disclosure rule. This rule requires companies to inform all investors at the same time of news of material significance to the business. The reason behind the investigation? Netflix’s CEO had posted an update on Facebook congratulating his team for their great work.
I’m very involved with social media. On top of my own blogging and tweeting, I tweet on behalf of a couple of organizations, and I run a couple of LinkedIn company pages. Before I submit an update, I pause and think about who might see it (less so on my personal accounts). But I would never think that a simple congratulations would be suspect. While it’s unlikely I’d even have information that may cause a regulatory board to look askance at my organization, I will be thinking about how this may affect me.
I shall now have to rethink what I post on behalf of others.
Filed under: Social Media | 1 Comment
Tags: Social Media
Subscribe via RSS
- MT @TapperCuddyLLP would like to congratulate Alfred Thiessen on admission into the partnership. More about him: bit.ly/1yJyU2k 1 month ago
- RT @conniecrosby: Speaking with @Bjornqc & @karensawatzky at 2 pm -- A Knowledge Management 101. We're keeping it informal. Should be fun! 1 month ago
- RT @conniecrosby: Speaking with @Bjornqc & @karensawatzky at 2 pm -- A Knowledge Management 101. We're keeping it informal. Should be fun! … 1 month ago
- MT @SLALegal: Christine DeLuca makes it "Easier to Find Cdn Gov Doc Needles in the Haystack of the Internet". ow.ly/GTCIz 1 month ago
- The Value of Library Resources slaw.ca/2015/01/14/the… from @hannasus 1 month ago
academic libraries Advocacy Basic training Bestof Top libraries Best practices Book repairs Careers Change Management Clawbies Colin Powell Communications problem solving conferences Continuing Education creativity Customer Service database data security digital advocacy E-government bureaucracy government services eBooks Health library history health library resources Home office ILL technical services Information Internet searching Knowledge Management leadership learners neural legal research legislation library architecture Library special events management skills Marketing medical information Networking Networks New Ideas online branding online security Outsourcing politics Presentations Professional Associations Professional Development public library public profiles public speaking Publishing reading SLA-WCC SLA2008 SLA2009 Slaw Social Media Social search engines Special events Storytelling Storytelling leaders conferences Teaching Technology technology cold turkey Training Ideas Training video tutorial tweet Twitter Vendors volunteering Web 2.0 Web2.0 Webinar wikis Work at home Working smarter