New techniques for old habits
Brenda and I have been taking a writing break, getting in our vacation time. Summer’s almost over, though, and it’s time to get back to work.
I’ve had a whole series of experiences happen that are sort of connected. Have you been following the anonymous blogger story? Well, I was asked to find the decision by the New York State court, which was only published a couple of days ago. I searched my legal databases and the court’s site, then I tried googling for a news story that would hopefully have a link to the full text of the decision. Nothing was working. Then I tried a twitter search. Bingo – in 1 min., I had a link to a pdf of the decision.
Then, this morning while reviewing my tweets, I was directed to this post by Timothy B. Corcoran, on how vendors could prepare themselves for conference attendees. Notice how one of the points he makes is to sell benefits, not features? Where have I heard that before? Oh yeah, here!
Now for the third bit of serendipity – Wired West (the online newsletter of the Western Canada Chapter of SLA) arrived in my inbox yesterday. One of the articles about the 2009 SLA conference happened to also talk about Mary Ellen Bates’ presentation, and the importance of “benefits, not features”.
I feel like everything is running together – instead of just using search engines and databases, I can also add social media tools like Twitter. And when it comes to marketing, sales techniques are for internal as well as external customers. These are the kinds of things I already knew, but it’s nice to have them documented by others.
Now if I could only get my vendors to think of how their products benefit me… but that’s a post for another day!
Filed under: Marketing, Professional Development, SLA2009, Social Media | 1 Comment
Tags: Marketing, SLA2009, Social Media, Twitter
Subscribe via RSS
- Another stellar issue of Canadian Law Library Review! Thanks @CALLACBD 4 weeks ago
- This makes me so sad MT @davidpwhelan: Goodbye Maritime Law Book. Anyone interested in buying their collections? https://t.co/QK1atTcvdY 2 months ago
- Great deal! I'm the instructor ;) twitter.com/mec_winnipeg/s… 2 months ago
- Congratulations to @cityparkrunners on your 10th anniversary! I was sure you'd been in business longer! 2 months ago
- I agree RT @mworoniak: C'mon Winnipeg! This is great public policy. twitter.com/devetrobert/st… 2 months ago
- Business Research
- CALL 2012
- Career portfolio
- Computer shortcuts
- Customer Service
- data security
- future ready 365
- job search
- Knowledge Management
- Law Library Outsourcing
- Lunch and Learn
- Medical reference
- Mobile devices
- Professional Development
- Public library
- public presentation
- Publishing, New books, Legal research
- School library
- Second Life
- Smart phones
- Social Media
- Training Ideas
- Virtual library