Why Twitter? I tried explaining how Twitter works to my friend Cheryl with a cell phone, who text messages a lot. Cheryl is highly mechanical-minded and loves technology. If only I had seen this concise video first explaining Twitter in plain language.
Cheryl echoes Miranda’s feelings, one hip librarian I know who loves her Facebook, yet had a visceral “I hate Twitter comment” to me. It just does not fit into her information needs. She sees it as way too much information, and does not want to be connected to what is happening with people between the e-mails and blog posts. I was honestly surprised by Miranda’s reaction. But different users have different needs.
The tide may be turning on Twitter. Even Prime Minister Stephen Harper has about 400 followers on his Twitter account. One large company president in the United States has done away with his e-mail account choosing instead to sends tweets to communicate with his employees. Twitter lends itself to being more informal, and it is a one-to-many way of communicating. Karen thinks if you are already offline friends then it is makes more sense to follow their micro-blogging on Twitter.
Basically you need to choose the Web 2.0 tool that fits your communication needs. My American friend have a photo blog about their growing child. His blog makes the gaping distance between family members smaller, when most of their relations don’t live in the same town. And I live in another country, but I can still keep abreast of little Joanne’s developments.
I also have friends who use Linked In as they are either looking for work or thinking of changing career tracks. In conclusion, the social media can be overwhelming but if you choose wisely, it can enhance your networks.
McMaster University Library in Hamilton, Ontario, took the initiative to teach it’s faculty about wikis, blogs and other Web 2.0 applications. A good chart is incuded in this article.
Filed under: Networks, Social Media | 1 Comment
Tags: tweet, Twitter
Subscribe via RSS
- I'll be there! RT @santashuffle: Santa and his reindeer are getting ready for the #SantaShuffle! Will you join them? ow.ly/ULGSt 1 week ago
- What's the difference between sponsorship and philanthropy? See what @mktgworks says: ow.ly/UiD4g 3 weeks ago
- ICYMI - "Watson Law" - comments are very insightful as well. slaw.ca/2015/10/19/wat… 1 month ago
- Love this from the American Lawyer - Baeball and Big Law ow.ly/TA6OV 1 month ago
- Cool! MT @emmaewood: Excited for Original Clawbies Winners Interview Series. Kicks off on @stemlegal this am! stemlegal.com/strategyblog/2… 1 month ago
- Business Research
- CALL 2012
- Career portfolio
- Computer shortcuts
- Customer Service
- data security
- future ready 365
- job search
- Knowledge Management
- Law Library Outsourcing
- Lunch and Learn
- Medical reference
- Mobile devices
- Professional Development
- Public library
- Publishing, New books, Legal research
- School library
- Second Life
- Smart phones
- Social Media
- Training Ideas
- Virtual library