Stephen Abram in Winnipeg
Well, he’s been and is now long gone! On October 30th, Stephen Abram dropped in to Red River College and gave a mesmerizing presentation on the important role of information professionals. There was a great turnout of RRC library technician students mixed with members of the library community in Winnipeg.
I’m still digesting most of what he said, but what made the biggest impression to me was his description of info pros as “rock stars”. I kind of like that – as long as he didn’t mean the excess illegal substances aspect. Let’s get rid of the image of a spinster with her hair in a bun and ssh-ing. In fact, one of the hardest stereotypes I have to overcome with my patrons is that libraries are all about books.
Stephen also got a chance to make a big pitch for Special Libraries Association membership. Even though I’m a member, I was surprised at all the benefits that are available. There are so many toys to play with – if you are at all fearful of trying out blogs or wikis or any other twopointopian tools, this is a great place to practice.
There was plenty of time for a personal word with Stephen afterwards, as the evening’s sponsors provided a nice reception. I left feeling motivated and proud of my profession, and that was what made it a success for me.
(cross-posted to CASLIS Manitoba)
Filed under: Networks, Professional Development, Social Media | 1 Comment
Tags: SLA-WCC, Social Media
Subscribe via RSS
- Wow. Just wow. RT @slaw_dot_ca: Toward a Modernised and More Accessible Justice: Technological Courtroom Management: bit.ly/1nyTf57 1 day ago
- Hmmm, wonder what my t-shape is: Generation Flux & the T-Shaped Professional slaw.ca/2014/07/25/gen… 4 days ago
- Good easy-to-understand points RT @bsookman: Email Deliverability: 9 lessons about Canadian Anti-Spam Legislation goo.gl/ojlxCf 4 days ago
- +1 RT @emmaewood: paralegals' careers ( nationalmagazine.ca/Blog/July-2014… from @CBAnatmag)--same goes for almost everyone else who works in a law firm! 4 days ago
- Thanks @shop_cityplace for bringing in Keith of @keithrenee for a serenade on the deck! http://t.co/Oa3XVwgKp9 5 days ago
academic libraries Advocacy Basic training Bestof Top libraries Best practices Book repairs Careers Change Management Clawbies Colin Powell Communications problem solving conferences Continuing Education creativity Customer Service database data security digital advocacy E-government bureaucracy government services eBooks Health library history health library resources Home office ILL technical services Information Internet searching Knowledge Management leadership learners neural legal research legislation library architecture Library special events management skills Marketing medical information Networking Networks New Ideas online branding online security Outsourcing politics Presentations Professional Associations Professional Development public library public profiles public speaking Publishing reading SLA-WCC SLA2008 SLA2009 Slaw Social Media Social search engines Special events Storytelling Storytelling leaders conferences Teaching Technology technology cold turkey Training Ideas Training video tutorial tweet Twitter Vendors volunteering Web 2.0 Web2.0 Webinar wikis Work at home Working smarter